Sunday, March 25, 2012

Military Wife

1. How did you and your spouse meet?
In Nursing school at Ft Bragg in NC. He was in the "senior" class and came to talk to our "junior" class on our first day there. I was smitten! A friend hooked us up and later that night we were introduced!
2. How old were you when you two met?
I was 20 and he was 25.
3. How long have you been together?
12 years this coming Sept!

4. Where are you and your spouse originally from?
I'm a Northen California girl. He is a military brat that spent a majority of his life in NC

5. How did you feel about him joining the military?
We were both in the military when we met. I love it and am proud of him!

6. Where did your spouse go to Basic Training?
Fort Sill OK

7. Has your spouse ever been deployed?
Leaves for the third one in six years- in three weeks:(

.8. Ever been to his promotion ceremony?
Yep!! For his Sgt one while enlisted. Then I pinned him for his WO1 and W2... and watched his W3 promotion over a teleconference while he was in Iraq and I was in Germany!

9. How long have you been a military wife?
Almost 12 years!

10. Did you marry him before or after he joined?
After

11. How did your husband propose?
Took me shopping (the way to my heart), dinner at my FAV place to eat (Melting Pot) and had candles set up by his friends in a garden on his NC State Wolfpack campus!
12. Where did you get married?
Rutherford College NC. 70 people. Perfect!

13. How old were you two when you got married?
I was 21 and he was 25.

14. Did he wear his uniform on his wedding day?
Nope- my man was rockin a tux
.
15. Where are you and your spouse currently stationed?
Katterbach Germany- since 2008

16. Do you live on base?
Nope. We live in a German town called Lehrberg. It is about 15 minutes from post. Even though we are in a German house in a German town- it is owned by the Army. So we do not deal with rent or utilites! Win-Win!

17. How long were you married when you had to go through your first separation?
Three weeks after our wedding- he moved to Washington State. I had to stay in NC for 8 more months to finish nursing school. So we finally lived together 8 months after being married!

18. What is your favorite base so far?
That is TOUGH! We love Bragg. We will head back there for a third time mid 2013. We love it. But we have fond fond memories of Washington State as well. And honestly- if Germany was closer to our family- we would live here forever!! Five years here and still enjoy it!

19. Do you think your spouse looks good in his uniform?
OMG- yes!!! In his flight uniform. In his dress uniform. In his PT's.

20. Do you think military life is more advanced than civilian life?
I don't know if I would say advanced. Definitely different and definitely closer knit...

21. Do you like the benefits you receive as a military dependent?
Yes. I think I whole heartedly deserve them too. I have two- soon to be three kiddos. I am a single momma every other year- not to mention the countless field problems/schools he is always leaving for. My hubby doesnt just go on business trips (not taking away from seperation in any form!)- but he is being shot at. A lot of people think that we do not deserve any special recognition or benefits cause we "chose" this life. You are right- I chose this life- to support my man that fights for freedom for not only people around the world but also a lot of Americans to say and do some ignorant things!

22. Do you have a lot of military wife friends?
TONS! I love that about being a military wife. Just like in the regular world- there are times that friends turn out to be shady. But honestly- I have found women who are like sisters. They get you through deployments and life! I have always been super involved in Spouses Clubs and FRG's... and especially being overseas- you need good friends who "get it."

23. What is the hardest part of the military life?
The part where you are away from family and friends. Your children not having those regular interactions with grandparents. Missing out on best friends lives back home. The moving and saying goodbye to the friendships you built at each base!

24. Do you own military wife stuff?
I go through phases. My house has 2-3 things that have a patriotic theme but you do not walk into my house and think "military wife..."

25. Do you support your spouse as a member of the military?
TOTALLY. Absolutely!

IF YOU’RE A MILITARY SPOUSE, TAG YOU’RE IT!!Any of my military bloggy friends.. you should do this!! Let me know if you do so I can come check it out :)

2 comments:

Sharla said...

Hi!
I noticed a few days ago when I read this post that it says "soon to be three"? I was wondering if I was crazy and missed about you posting this earlier, but I don't think I missed anything. So CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I am so very very happy for you! We had been trying for the last 6 months and I am hoping it will happen soon. I'm trying to keep positive as it can be mentally exhausting but I'm sure our time is coming.

Hope your enjoying your time with your family before your husband leaves for deployment. I can't imagine what it's like to have to go through that, your hubby is a very lucky man to have such a devoted and loving wife!

Brenna said...

Hey Sharla! Thanks. No one else noticed! Hehe. Yeah- i will formally announce soon. We are still early but after 5 rounds of fertility- finally worked. And perfect timing!