Friday, June 7, 2013

1500 miles and both children survived...

 
 I consider that second part a major accomplishment. You try driving 1500 miles in three days with a 10 yr old and a 3 yr old.  By. Yourself.

We left Colorado about 5:45am on Tuesday June 4th. We stopped shortly into Kansas for a play break... We could not stop long but it was enough for some play time for kiddos and a coffee break for momma!
 
We got to Fort Riley Kansas right after 2pm.  We had plans to meet up with our friends the McBee's for lunch. We had a yummy lunch.
 
Then it was off to Fort Leavenworth Kansas... I won't write much about the drive cause it wasn't that exciting- except for one part...
 
Yep, there are not as many gas stations as you would think in Kansas. I coasted into one finally at 1 mile til empty. Not a proud mommy moment!
 
 
We stayed the first night with Mike, Bethany and Silas in Fort Leavenworth. I love that post. Gorgeous!
 
 
 
The kiddos got a lot of outdoor play time which was much needed!
 
 
 
 
Love this pic- Hais was off the ground pushing Carter!
 
 
Bethany pushing Hais
 
 
The first day ended like this... knocked out kiddos!
 
 
We were up and on our way by 8:30 the next morning. The second day took us through Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee!
 
We drove right past the Arch- Hais and I were giddy. Carter was asleep!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Next was Kentucky!
 

 

 
 
 We pulled over at the first gas station I saw- had to empty trash out of the car before we pulled into the Lowman's for the night!
Look what we saw in the sky!
We watched it double in length... shorten back up... get fatter and then get longer again.
Hais was in tears... She did not want to stay in Kentucky!
 
 
 

 We stayed the night with Tim, Brietta, Sam and Keegan.  It was so much fun to see them!
The next morning- coffee date with Nicole and Anna!
Nicole and I always had coffee together in Germany. We both did fertility treatments while in Germany and got preggo at the same time with Anna and Carter. Then we both tried again and were both ultimately unsuccessful.
She is one of the most amazing women I know and someone who played a huge role in my Germany life!!
 Anna and Carter
 

 

 

 
 After leaving Clarksville Tennessee- we drove to the far side of Knoxville before stopping. We grabbed some gas and some Steak n Shake, which Hais has decided is her absolute favorite place to eat!


 
Next stop- North Carolina!
Finally arrived. 1556 miles total.
23 hrs in the car.
12 movies played
2 peed through diapers (eww)
7 states
4 Germany friends hugs
2 sleepovers
 



One milkshake today for a reward.
The kids were amazing on the trip.  Literally, NOT one breakdown. They were angels.
I rarely say that about my kids!




Now, 4 weeks of grandparents and rest for mommy.
I joined the gym here today.
Lee will fly out in three weeks and we will all drive back to Colorado together:)

1 comment:

The Mello's said...

That sounds awesome I hope our kids will do that great when we drive to MO this summer. Wish we could have seen you guys! Have a great time with Pat and Ed!