I have been a social media junkie for the last 3-4 years. It all started with Myspace. I loved that site. It got me through the last deployment. Being able to change my background and profile songs made life a little easier. Gosh that is silly! But true. Then Facebook came around. I have been on that bandwagon for the last 2 years or so. At first it was fun to see everyones statuses. The fact that you can see what your friends across the world are doing is awesome.
Yet- it has become an unhealthy place for me. Friendships have changed. I found myself logging onto FB and seeing status updates or messages between my friends- that would just hurt my feelings. Finding out that your "good friends" are doing things and you are not invited sucks- but finding out on FB is even worse. Slowly seeing yourself replaced in someones life- sucks. But I have learned who my true friends are! That is FOR SURE! I deleted my FB account and my "good friends" haven't even noticed. Or if they have- haven't questioned it at all. Yet some of the most unexpected people in my life have not only noticed- but contacted me to check to see if everything is ok. That was an eye opener. A painful eye opener, but really a necessary one.
It seems like the friends I thought I could count on have sort of checked out this year. While that is hurtful- it is something that I needed to know. They clearly were not as good of friends as I thought.
When you are an Army family and constantly moving, friends are made fast. Some of long time ones but those are rare. We still have contact with some from flight school and those are the ones that I cherish. There are days like today that I think about how much I would love to go home and be around the friends that have known me forever. The friends that have been there even when we havent talked for months or had fallouts. We always recover. In the Army, it seems like people will write you off for the littlest thing. But it is devastating none the less cause you are so limited. I feel like I have a ton of friends here. Yet today when I wanted to cry to someone- there was no one to call.
Ugh
So- like I said- I deleted my FB account. I wanted to reinstate another one and make it only for friends from home and my family. Then I could bypass the drama here. I started to set that up. Then my sis had the brilliant idea- I should just return to blogging. Then I can control who sees my blog and my family still gets pictures. So- best of both worlds. I control what is on here. I can log in and provide the updates and pics I want to. And I avoid being hurt and upset by the stuff I cannot control- cause it isn't in my face! I know that might sound silly but my family is my life and I am done feeling controlled by a FB account!!
Back to blogging- which I loved anyways and have neglected for too long!
B
3 comments:
I was so suprised but completely understand, and I am excited to see new pictures up of you and your fam and Germany! Just don't forget to keep blogging, we have always been so far aprat it is nice to see what you are up to! Love you B and wish you were closer.
I'm glad you are blogging again! I missed your blog! I need to do it more but sometimes I get so darn busy that I get behind. :)
Love ya cousin! Hope that you hop onto that facebook everyonce in a while! How else will you see pics Of Clint?
Post a Comment