While it was the best possible thing I could have ever done- it comes with a price.

Us when we were like 14!! (which of course was only like 10 yrs ago- lol)
Meet Ande- or as I call her- Anders.
I have been friends with her since eighth grade... literally we have been friends for going on 20 years! We did everything together. We graduated middle school. We went to school together on the first day of high school. I still remember her mom dropping us off that day. I can also remember her riding with me on the first day I drove to school... what a hilarious ride that was! Lurching through a stop sign in front of Rickey and Keith! lol I also remember riding with her in the VW her dad bought and laughing so hard about trying to drive a stickshift... I remember the first time we got drunk... and then ran through Greenstone Country... or the time we tried to cook breakfast and melted part of the stove!
It is one of the hardest things ever- being away from her. I feel like I am missing out on so much by not living near her. I hate seeing her kiddos grow up through the internet. I love that I am able to get home at least twice a year. I am glad that they still call me aunty B and love Hais like a sister (except Ty- cause him and Hais are scheduled to be married- lol)...
I guess my question is- how can you keep a friendship flourishing? Ande and I do not talk all that often. But when we talk/get together- it is like we never were apart. How can I feel closer without actually moving there- since that is not a real option...
I need laughs cause I have been so upset lately...
Today I watched a replay of a special that Good Day Sacramento did this morning about Team Donate Life. Ande is crewing for a bicycle team that is a part of Race Across America this week. They are biking from Oceanside Ca to Annapolis Md... in six days. She is one of the crew members that drives along the racers the entire way. I cried cause I saw her on the television and it made me miss her even more. It also made me insanely jealous of the people who get to spend a week with her!! Ugh!!
I am thinking of seeing if she wants to fly to NC in Dec and spend a few days- then fly with me back to Sacramento... just to have some time with her would be amazing!!!
Thanks for listening. If you have any suggestions to help out- it would be awesome. Our friendship is amazing but I am looking for anyway to make me feel closer- despite the 1000's of miles between us!!
5 comments:
I move a lot. (Ah, the joys of military wife-dom!) I'm not the best at keeping friends...I get jealousy pangs when I hear people talking about their childhood friends who are still a part of their lives. It makes me all the more grateful for my wonderful siblings...at least I have built-in friends-for-life who share the same childhood memories as me. But yeah, maintaining long-distance friendships can be really, really hard. I miss the everyday banter that comes from frequent contact.
oh hun that must be tough! I cant offer any advice I cant seem my friendship alive with my friend and she lives 30 minutes from me :(
Ok....I can totally relate to the military wife moving and have friends move away from you. I did this with my best friend and it works out awesome. We created our own private blog. Just for the two of us. We both have access to post on it and we can write back and forth to each other. When ever we want to vent about something or laugh at our hubbys in private or get advice about a situation. We post pics often, and the cool thing about that is we can see pics that we might not necessarily want everyone to see but wnat to share with each other. It feels like our own private little world and the best part is it is a record of our friendship and I can look back over all of the exchanges we have had anytime I want. I just made up a new blod on blogger and we have a password that only we would know. Try it. It will definately make you feel closer to her. Josh says that you two were like sisters in high school :) Take care:)
Sarah
Thank you thank you thank you ladies!! I truly appreciate it. Sarah- give that hubby of yours a hug for me! I havent seen him in years!!
My best friend moved away several years ago, and it has been tough because we were used to being next door to each other and never had to "work" at keeping in touch. Now we use Skype quite a bit and we text a lot during the day. It still isn't the same as being together, but at least we always know what's going on with each other!
Post a Comment