There is a bitter truth in life that most of us want to ignore- or at least I do. Sometimes there are lapses in friendships and it stinks. There are certain friends you know that you will always have a special place with- even if you do not talk regularly- or see one another often.
Lately I have sort of had a reality check that there are some friendships in my life that need to be released. They are not awful people or anything. It is just that the friendship is no longer a positive force in my life. They are draining.
Some of the friendships I am talking about in particular, they are definitely draining! I say draining because I spend so much time wondering why things are different. Wondering what can make the friendships like they were before. Honestly, nothing went wrong with them- they just fizzled.
It stinks. It is heartbreaking. Yet... it is a fact of life. I know everyone has friendships they depend on- but when you are military- your friends become your family. Your support system. They become the ones who talk you down on hard days. They watch your children come into the world when your hubby is downrange.
I am not saying that I want people out of my life- not necessarily. I am saying that I want to stop dwelling on those friendships that are not happy. The ones that are not healthy for me.
I think we are all deserving of people in our lives that raise us up- that encourage us to be better versions of ourselves. Those people that make you smile just cause they are around. I want friendships that I am secure in. Ones that I know regardless of the day or occasion- I know are on my side and have my best interest at heart.
Sorry for the vent- these friendships have been bothering me. I have a hard time letting go sometimes and this is a good example... but for me to "live in the moment" truly enjoy my blessed life--- some of those friendships need to be less of a priority in my life...
2 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing this! I've been do a lot of reflecting since I've returned home, and I've also realized that some of my friendships are draining me. I've been trying to figure out how to explain how I've been feeling, but I think you described it perfectly. I think sometimes people just don't want to put forth the same amount of effort, but I do believe there are a few people out there who will give as much as you give :)
It's funny because I also have been thinking of this same thing and had a long talk about it today with a friend. I realize also on the other side, the friend that I have not been to important people in my life and how I need to change that.
Post a Comment